Pfeiffer & Schwartzel Family History

HomePfeifferGrieshaberSchwartzelMoellmann

WhiskeyBox FactoryRecipes


Charles Schwartzel

Youth 1900 1932

Charles C. Schwartzel, born December 3, 1853 in Hattersheim, Germany was the youngest of four children of Joseph and Elizabeth Schwartzel. Charles arrived in America on May 22, 1854 and traveled with his family to New Albany where he lived the rest of his life.

Charles married Margaret Gerard at Holy Trinity Church in New Albany. Indian on April 24, 1877. They were married by Reverend Mougis. Margaret Gerard was the daughter of John Gerard and Mary Tegart Gerard. 

Charles and Margaret had three children, Anna Bernardine, Joseph Charles, and Francis J. They lived at 1103 East Main Street in New Albany.

Anna Bernardine married Isadore Marguet. Joseph Charles married Catherine Gertrude Moellmann at St. Boniface Church, Louisville, Ky. in 1911. Francis J. died at the age of 27. It is unknown if he was married.

Charles Schwartzel began his career as a clerk in the County Record Office. In 1870, at the age of 17 he was listed as a clerk in the County Recorders Office. Next, he became a clerk for Adams Express Company and had that position when he married. But later that year, Charles became the Floyd County Recorder, and served as recorder for one term, possibly about eight years. He also became an insurance agent and probably through his work as an insurance agent met Mr. W. R. Heath. In 1886, Charles went to work for Mr. Heath at his box and basket company. During his years as the County Recorder and probably afterwards, Charles purchased a lot of land in and around New Albany. It is believed that much of the land was bought as people failed to pay back taxes.

Since Charles had been acquiring property for some time, he was in the position in 1897 to start buying stock in the Heath-Morris Company. By 1898, Charles and his wife were majority stockholders in the company.

In 1897, Charles became president of the box company and in 1898; Charles bought out the remaining shareholders. The box company continued to operate as the Heath - Morris Company until July 1, 1907 when its name was changed to the New Albany Box & Basket Company. At one time, the box company was one of the largest of its kind in the mid-west. Besides being president of the box company, Charles also became a Director of the Mutual Trust & Deposit Company of New Albany and was well respected in the community.